I’ve been engaged with science for as long as I can remember, falling in love with the diversity of protists and algae somewhere along the way. To pursue these interesting and crazy organisms further, I studied marine microbiology at the Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre, grabbing experiences from exploring experiments in the lab, slimy rocks on the islands, and mud (digging for shrimp was messy and fun!).

Beautiful Bamfield!
My first copepod!

With some field work in my pocket, I wanted to try working more in a lab next. I had the pleasure of working in Insect Toxicology to study the effects of essential oils on the deterrence of cabbage loopers. I found the research innovative because it focused on using environmentally safe solutions against agricultural pests. Safe to say, I also made friends with some neighbouring tobacco hornworms!

Experimental setup
My friend, the tobacco hornworm!

As much as I love science, I love art – specifically, the art of animation. A big part of my teaching philosophy is focusing on implementing UDL strategies into the classroom. This building block stems from my passion for digital painting and writing to demonstrate my ideas. I wish for students to have the opportunity to demonstrate their learning using media that they are comfortable with so they can make more meaningful connections with their learning and science.